Last week my friend @lucretiapruitt clued me in, as is usually the case, about a great new reach multiplying tool I needed to know about- Triberr. I spent the better part of this am checking it out and figuring out what it is about and why I should care.
As this moves more out of beta and into the mainstream you are likely to start getting twitter dm’s asking you to join a triberr tribe. So consider this your heads up-a quick and dirty explanation of what this is all about.
- What is Triberr? Simply put it is a way to have your blog post links retweeted via twitter
- Who retweets my links? People in your tribe.
- Who is in my tribe? You start off in a tribe of the person who invited you. It’s up to them who is in the group.
- Can I make my own tribe? Once you are invited into a tribe you can then create 3 other tribes that you lead.
- How many people are in a tribe? The default is 7 (free) but the tribe leader can expand the group by paying ‘bones’-triberr currency (which you can earn or buy through paypal)
- Do I have to retweet other peoples links? Yes. That is how the love gets spread. You can set your mode to not auto tweet your tribal stream if you are the leader. As a member you go into auto-tweet. I can’t see a way to change that.
- What if I don’t want to tweet something a member of my tribe posts? Tweets go out every hour, you can check your dashboard and see what is scheduled to be sent out through your account. You can delete any posts there. Under “content settings” you can gain some control of the types of tweets you don’t want sent.
- How many tribes can I be a part of? 4 – the one you got invited into and 3 you create. That’s it right now
Why Use Triberr:
- It’s blog linking on steroids.
- Automatic tweets which keeps your stream active (helps increase your Klout score)
- People re-tweeting you (again helping with Klout)
- Great exposure at zero cost (unless you choose to use premium features)
How Do I Start:
- You need to be invited. It seems most invites are coming through Twitter DM’s. There is an invite code in the dm.
- Accept the invite, use the code. Set up your account with your blog RSS and set your preferences.
- You should now be able to create 3 tribes of your own. The kicker though is that you can’t add people already in triberr at first. That is really weird to me. You have to upgrade your tribe with ‘bones’ (just their name for points) and have at least 3 people to add existing Triberr people. They call this ‘inbreeding’.
- Point your friends over to my post (haha, but no seriously, here is the link: http://tribr.it/1Bj5P) so they have a clue what this weird DM is you are sending them.
- Unless you are watching the tribal stream carefully, you have the potential to retweet something from a tribe mate that you wouldn’t normally share.
- Too many tweets if your tribe is full of super active bloggers.
For now I am testing the waters. I am playing. I do see its potential and as long as I am comfortable with the tribe members I see no real harm. I will report back how helpful (or not) it is.
My suggestion is that if you are lucky enough to have someone invite you to join? DO IT and see for yourself.
Thoughts? Questions? What didn’t I cover that people need to know right off? Leave me a comment or check out the Triberr FAQ