We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned or linked to in this post, including Amazon Affiliate links.
Summer is off to a great start and we needed some new DIY summer lip balm flavors to help us enjoy the season. I had a lot of fun asking for suggestions on my Facebook page, Crafty Side of Essential Oils, and came up with this Spearmint Vanilla Lime lip balm mixture.
DIY Summer Lip Balm Ingredients:
(contains affiliate links)
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil
- 2 tbsp & 2 tsps beeswax pastilles or grated beeswax
- 10 drops Lime Essential Oil (Get a discount on Young Living Premium Starter Kit)
- 8 drops Spearmint Essential Oil
- 5 drops organic Vanilla extract-optional
- 14 lip balm tubes
- 1 pipette (glass is safest but hard to clean, long plastic are easier to just throw away but get very hot)
- washi tape, duct tape or scotch packing tape for decorating
DIY Summer Lip Balm Directions:
- Line up all your empty lip balm tubes in a safe place next to where you will be making this. This is a good pattern to put them in (obviously these are already filled)
- Melt together beeswax and coconut oil in double boiler. Some people make one by putting a mason jar in small pot of water or setting a glass or metal bowl over a small pot of boiling water.
- When completely melted remove from heat and stir in Lime, Spearmint and Vanilla drops stirring to mix well quickly.
- Immediately use your pipette to fill the empty tubes with the summer lip balm mixture. Work very quickly and watch for the top of the pipette getting hot if using plastic. Fill almost to the rim.
- Let cool for 2 hours.
- Place caps and decorate with the washi tape of your dreams.
Summer Lip Balm Notes:
Lip balm is one of the easiest crafts to make. Please be careful around the hot wax mixture. That is not a part for children to do. Best to let them have the fun of tape decorating the finished product. Lime is a photosensitive oil. This is not the lip balm to use for going out in the sun. There is also a school of thought that citrus oils should never be placed in plastic containers. I have been making citrus lip balms in these containers for a long time and have not had issues. However, if it makes you nervous just use these metal lip balm tins.